Sunday, May 16, 2010

"I just can't believe in a god that..."

Everyone has heard the guy on campus, griping about God, complaining about people who believe and whining about what he thinks God should be doing, if he truly exists.

It's true that the world is going to Hades in a handbasket, but I wonder: Why is it God's fault?

Yes, he's omnipotent and all, but when did it become God's job to save everybody and all the time?

Does being omnipotent come with a job description? "I'm sorry, God, but you're just not acting as was as we unwise people think you should act, therefore we won't acknowledge your existence or pray, let alone worship, you. Sorry."

What if our expectation of God translated to others in our lives.

Take mom, for example: just because your mommy can clean, sew, and is a fabulous cook, does that mean she should always do these things for everybody, all the time?

"Well Amy," you say, "that's different."

How? Just because God can be the hero, does it mean he always should?

Not following me? Let's try another angle. If God was always there hero, there would be no illness, poverty, war or death. What kind of world would that be?

Oh, uh-- heaven. Yeah. Didn't God say he was making a home for you there?

But if God solved problems on earth, all the time--feeding the hungry, healing the sick-- after a while, we would take our perfect little world for granted. We would have no consequences for our actions. ("I can kill someone, but it doesn't matter because God will just raise them up again.")

Don't believe me?

Every morning, my husband wakes to a tiny alarm on his watch, makes breakfast and coffee for me and wakes me and the kids to guarantee we all get to the places we need to be on time.

Do I thank him? Rarely.

But what do I think when he sleeps in on a Saturday, or lies around watching TV before church on a Sunday? I whine, inwardly.

And this is what we do to God everyday for the things he DOES do. Remember that close call? That promotion? That sunset?

Besides, if God was always saving the day, wouldn't we get tired of it? Wouldn't we say, "When is it my turn?" Isn't there something within most rational people that needs to do something good for humanity? Or the planet?

So quit griping, get off your butt and take your opportunity to save the day. God has the rest of eternity covered.

2 comments:

  1. As you already know, I am a Christian so I agree with you, but I like how you explain things in ways that really make a person think. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good read, Amy, and you're right on. I wish the guy on campus who gave you the motivation would have a chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete